Keeping our carpets clean is such a task! With kids and pets doing their daily business of just being themselves, it’s definitely not for the faint of heart. How do you deal with the situation? By yourself and with no help?
Well, you’re in a for a treat! I have just the perfect DIY recipe to make your carpet-cleaning strategy such a breeze!
This DIY carpet cleaner is easy, affordable, and effective! If you don’t want to buy carpet shampoo, invest in carpet cleaning machines, or hire help, this article is just for you!
AN IMPORTANT REMINDER:
Before anything else, please check your carpet cleaner’s manual and warranty provisions.
Some manufacturers have rules where warranties get void when users opt for a different cleaner.
Also, please test the solution on a smaller area of the carpet first to check for any unwanted reactions.
Before cleaning the entire floor, make sure that you’ve tested the recipe first.
Rundown of Ingredients:
What makes this DIY recipe extra special is its ingredients. You probably already have most of them at home. All are accessible and available in local stores and supermarkets. You can also easily opt to buy online.
2. Awesome Cleaner
4. Tide Laundry Detergent
5. Downy softener
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please take note that four of the following ingredients are not natural and not non-toxic. This is a compromise that you must be willing to consider if you want a truly effective and affordable carpet cleaner. However, please reconsider if you have particular allergies.
For 1 gallon of this DIY cleaner, please come up with the following:
1. 1 gallon of warm water
2. 1 scoop of Oxiclean (you can choose any dollar store alternative)
3. 1/4 cup of Awesome (you can choose any dollar store alternative)
4. 2 tablespoons of Tide in liquid form
5. Optional – 1 teaspoon of Downy
This is How to Do It Step By Step
Combine the following ingredients on a large bowl or a pitcher: Awesome, liquid Tide, and Oxiclean. Add Downy if you prefer. Stir continuously until mixed well.
Add hot water by slowly adding it to the mix. Please carefully add the hot water in a slow and gentle manner to avoid bubbles and unnecessary chemical reactions. Once poured, stir the mix ever so gently until all ingredients are dissolved.
Carefully transfer the solution into your preferred container. A spray-bottle will be ideal.
For safety and solid organization, make a label for the container: “Carpet Cleaner Solution” – you can be creative here!
Step By Step Application
1st step – Vacuum Prep
Vacuum the area. Carpet cleaners can only deal with textile dirt and stains. You should make sure that debris, crumbs, and dust are out of the way.
2nd step – Setting Up The Cleaner
Make sure that you have your manual at hand. Check on the required amount of product for the dispenser. Carpet cleaners usually require 1/4 cup of concentrated solution. It can vary so do check your manual. Upon filling it with the right amount of solution, pour hot water until the dispenser is full.
Take note: this measurement works in this ratio: 1 gallon is to 1/4 cup of concentrated solution.
3rd step – Patch Check
Please do a spot check before cleaning the entire floor. PRO TIP: Choose a hidden area. This step is vital because it will avoid and foolproof your household from a large-scale unwanted reaction. This should be done a whole day before doing the actual cleaning. Don’t even think about skipping this step.
Check the area 24 hours after the application. If no discoloration took place, you can get on with cleaning!
4th step – Clean Away!
Go full out on cleaning! Do a double run and focus on spots with pesky stains. Your carpet will be ever clean, dry, and fresh after 24 hours!
1. Please make sure that you do all the steps, especially the spot-checking. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Should your warranty show that it will be voided if you’d opt for a different cleaner, you will still have a choice. You can choose to let go of the warranty and enjoy an affordable and equally effective carpet cleaner or keep the warranty and spend on expensive cleaning products.
2. If you’ve been using the same carpet cleaner for years, changing up is good if it can introduce more savings on your budget.
3. If you have a difficult stain, make sure to do numerous runs to fully remove it. This solution is effective but it needs to be applied generously and intensely on difficult problem areas.
4. Using Downy is optional. Using it is advised as it will soften and fragrantly freshen up your carpet.
What do you think?
Are you excited to use this recipe? Get on with it and share your experience! And if you have your own mix, please do share in the comment section!