Owning a carpet requires serious commitment. Every carpet owner must have a go-to solid maintenance plan. Having a good maintenance plan ensures a carpet’s long life span and increases its investment value. However, it has to be done properly. Over-cleaning a carpet is a common mishap among carpet owners as it causes unnecessary damage and speeds up wear and tear. You need not worry as we got you covered. This article will help you in creating a solid maintenance plan that does not over-clean and damage your carpet in the long run.
Most people still don’t have a clear understanding of how carpet cleaning works. Some even have a misguided belief that the more frequent a carpet gets cleaned, the better maintained it is. This understanding is dangerous as it is completely not the case and leads to numerous negative effects.
This stems from people’s complete misunderstanding of how commercial carpet cleaning goes. Commercial carpet cleaning is seen as the be-all and end-all when it comes to carpet maintenance. People have the misconception that all is well as long as carpets get commercially cleaned every now and then. This is not true. It’s not surprising though, that people are misguided because people don’t even know what goes on during commercial carpet cleaning sessions.
A responsible carpet owner should know what goes one during commercial carpet cleaning sessions. Upon understanding of all the processes and cleaning strategies that take place during every session, it will be easier for anyone to understand that carpet cleaning is not as simple as it seems. There are multiple factors to considers and balance.
Commercial Carpet Cleaning 101
Commercial carpet cleaning has been around since the 1800s. Before, it was only made available to the wealthy and those who have servants. The first documented carpet cleaning technique was documented in 1827. In a published material for servants that to housekeeping, it was taught that lemon can be used to remove ink stains.
Fast forward to today, the world has come a long way when it comes to carpet cleaning. For starters, dedicated carpet cleaning services are no longer limited to the wealthy. Cleaning science has significantly advanced and numerous technologies are now used.
Today, there are primarily two kinds of carpet cleaning: steam cleaning and dry carpet cleaning.
Dry Carpet Cleaning
Dry carpet cleaning is chemical-intensive. This process involves a solution or foam is that is rubbed into a carpet. The solution or foam has a unique chemical make-up that attracts dirt. Once the solution or foam is dry and it has attracted all the possible dirt, the carpet is then vacuumed.
This method is a more intensive cleaning method. Its name is misleading because the process does not actually use steam. In steam cleaning, highly pressurized hot water is used to shoot upon a carpet. Once all areas are covered, it is then vacuumed.
Both methods are labor-intensive and time-consuming. Advanced commercial cleaning equipment is also required together with specialized chemicals and solutions.
Importance of Proper Scheduling
Now that you have an idea as to how intensive and extensive commercial cleaning can be, the question is: when then and how often should you have your carpet commercially cleaned?
The truth is, there is no direct answer. However, there are factors that you should always consider and they are the following:
1. Your budget – know how much budget you can allocate for carpet maintenance. Include it in the consistent breakdown of your household expenses.
2. Your carpet manufacturer’s instruction – some carpets are particularly designed to last longer if cleaned more often.
3. Your space – do you have a baby? How well do you maintain the cleanliness of your area and your house?
4. Your time – what is the ideal time for you? Choose a time that will be most convenient for the schedules of all the members of your household.
5. Foot traffic in the area where the carpet is – the more foot traffic there is, the more often it needs to be commercially cleaned.
In deciding, take note that you should never over-clean. The following are the reasons why you shouldn’t:
1. Carpet Wear Down – commercial carpet cleaning is chemical-intensive. Overdoing it can result in fast-tracked carpet wear and tear because strong chemicals can damage microfibers in carpets. A carpet with damaged microfibers becomes more susceptible to dirt.
2. Wise Spending – you should never overspend when it comes to carpet cleaning. Never schedule a cleaning with minimal gaps where it becomes impossible for you to tell the difference if cleaning has been made or not. Ensure that you opt for commercial carpet cleaning only when you truly need it. Remember that frequent cleaning does not automatically translate to a well-maintained carpet.
3. Level of Necessity – you don’t always have to book for commercial carpet cleaners. Whenever you feel like you need one, ask yourself: is this something that I could do by myself? If it is only a stain that needs to be dealt with, you definitely do not need a full-blown commercial carpet cleaning service. Spot-cleaning is always the best way to go when it comes to stains. Apart from the fact that it only targets the area that needs cleaning, it also saves your carpet from intense chemicals and solutions.
Sound and Intelligent Carpet Cleaning Frequency
To fully determine the best carpet cleaning maintenance for you, you should look for a trustworthy commercial carpet cleaning service provider. They have the expertise to determine your need and can easily tell you how much commercial cleaning is necessary. Our advice is to check out multiple service providers and ask for proposals. Upon comparison, you’d easily be able to determine which one is up to provide good honest service and which ones are just after fees.